Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Questions and A Cottage Box


I had quite a few questions about my bound area rug from the last post so I thought I'd try to answer them all at once. I've had rugs bound before, this one is in my living room and I had it bound about seven years ago. I had it done at Home Depot. I don't know if they do it anymore. Our local HD did not. And they didn't carry the floral carpet anymore either. So I searched around until I found a carpet store (Johnson's in Kaysville) that had the printed carpet AND could do the binding. They have a big machine that's almost like a giant serger. They charge by the foot and it only took them about ten days to get the carpet and bind it. I needed a rug 10 X 10 so they had enough to do a 2 X 5 piece that I put in front of the sink. Both rugs came to $430.00 and that included the tax so I thought that was pretty reasonable. If you have any other questions just email me and I'll see if I can help. In other news, look what I got in the mail last week! A little package of adorable cuteness.


I ordered this cute little box from Lisa, Tarnished and Tattered's etsy shop. I love it so much!

The outside is a cute little cottage and inside, some shredded sheet music.


I love this so much I'd like to try to make a little stitchery similar to this. There'd be felt and embroidery involved.
And then, as if that wasn't enough, she sent along a few little goodies for me to play with. That vintage image is printed on muslin, there's a little piece of heart fabric, a glittery be mine heart, and some lovely old trim.

Don't you love all the fun things you can find on Etsy?

13 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

Oh my goodness, if that isn't the. cutest. little. box! Wow! You got a great find n that one! That is what I love about etsy, so many one of a kind things.

Julie Harward said...

I have never bought anything from and etsy store, don't know if I even know how, guess I'd better look at it. Love what you got, so detailed and cute! I too have had a rug bound, a shag 5x8 and it lasted for years. Is it spring yet in Kaysville? It's about 40 here today, pretty nice. Come say hi :D

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Ahhhhh (code for screaming)...that is ADORABLE!!! Lucky, lucky Mimi-Sue! Be sure to show us what you make from the goodies that Lisa also sent along.
Mary Lou

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Oh Mimi, your so cute and your gift is perfect. I really missed not getting together yesterday. Kelly sugested we try it again.

We are getting the shoppe ready to open in Gardner Village. I'm working on some window displays, I'll pictures soon. Did I even tell you that we are moving to Gardner Village? In the old Village White Shoppe, they left.

Can't wait to see what you make with your new treasures.


Hugs
cindy@stitches

joy said...

Mimi Sue, Love the rug and the box! I know you will come up with something cute to stitch!
Joy

Beth at Aunties said...

The box is adorable! I agree you can find the best items on Etsy!Thanks for the information about the rugs. I was interested.

I hope they have another lunch soon as I would love to meet you.

I also hope you husband's appt went well. I have been thinking about you both.
~♥

Simple Home said...

What a sweet little box. I see the cutest things on etsy.
Blessings,
Marcia

Unknown said...

Mimi Sue,

Thanks for answering the questions about the rug.

Donna said...

Love that little box, Mimi!! How adorable. I agree, too, you can find the cutest things on etsy.

Hugs,
Donna

Angie said...

Such cute things in that box! Love your floral rugs. I got a rug cut and bound a few years ago and will do it again when this one wears out. It is so great to be able to get exactly the size you want.

Sue said...

I love old Valentines...they remind me of grade school...One of our fellow bloggers actually took vintage cards and using edible ink in their printer and using edible transfer paper....Yes there is such a thing...she printed them out then applied them to the tops of heart shaped sugar cookies...It was very cool...The things you learn from bloggers is amazing..

Unknown said...

That is just the cutest little box ever! Love it.

Nola said...

What lovelies you got! So dainty and pretty.
I did not even know you could have rugs bound, I must have been living under a rock!