Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Potatoes in a Bucket (and a trash can)

Last spring we planted potatoes in a couple of containers.
 
Some red potatoes in an old galvanized bucket I found in a neighbor's trash pile.
 
And some russet potatoes in an old metal trash can.
 
Last week we pulled up the vines,
 

 
Dug through the soil...

 
And found.... POTATOES!!



 
And they're delicious.
 
 Boiled with a little butter and some salt and pepper.
 
It's the little things that makes me happy.

7 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Yeah! I have always wanted to grow potatoes like that. Did you drill holes in the bottoms of the containers? How often did you have to water them?

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Wow! Great harvest! I grew some purple potatoes in a container this year and got....2! I started out with more seed potatoes LOL. I think it was too hot and wet this summer. My in ground sweet potatoes did really well!

Karen Mortensen said...

Awesome.

The Gathering Place said...

I like that idea! Our clay soil is so hard that potatoes can't grow well, but maybe they would in a pot!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Fresh potatoes, right out of the ground, are so wonderful tasting! I used to grow them in stacked tires...adding a tire as I topped with more dirt. I really need to grow some again!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I bet they are fabulous!!! That is just how I like mine, with a little butter and salt. Such a difference in the taste of fresh home grown

Carol

Kathleen Grace said...

Fabulous! I was wondering if you drilled drainage holes, did being in a container make it easier to keep the potato bugs off them? I HATE picking potato bugs!