Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Thursday, November 21, 2013

Paperwhites

Have you planted your Christmas Paperwhites?
 
It's one of my favorite things to do in the fall.
 

 
You just need a little gravel and the bulbs.
 
I got mine in bulk from a garden center.

 
I like to use glass jars so you can see the roots as they grow.
 
The tall sides help hold up the spindly stems.

 
 
Hopefully they'll be blooming by Christmas.
 
There's a few containers in my booth at
 
Everyday Treasures in Roy, Utah.

7 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I have never grown them, it looks like fun!

Diane Mars said...

What a great idea I have to admit I have never tried that maybe this year.. Thanks for the heads up~

The Gathering Place said...

I'm not even sure what kind of flower that is. It sounds like a fun way to enjoy it. Guess I better do some research!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I was just thinking I need to get some going...I love them at Christmas!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

No not yet. I usually do paperwhites for the new year cause I buy them after Christmas :)

Scrap for Joy said...

They are lovely....so delicate looking and pristine white. I just can't handle the smell of them :( I have a Christmas cactus that I am hoping will develop flowers. I've had it for 3 years and it has only bloomed once. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
xoxo
Joyce

Kathleen Grace said...

I wish I knew which cultivar to get that doesn't smell fishy. I have tried growing them and couldn't stand the scent. Do you know what kind you have?