Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Here's My Kitchen (Unfinished)

I thought I should show you my kitchen since it's clean for the first time in months. The 2 sweetpeas and their mommy are coming for Thanksgiving. All four of our kids will be here for the first time in probably 10 years. We're so happy about that. Anyway here's the kitchen. It still needs trim under and above the cabinets, end pieces and the baseboard. Also the window trim is missing.I knew I wanted a kitchen island but wasn't too sure about the size or position. I was given this unit to try and I've decided to keep it. It has a butcher block top and some storage. By the way, it's from K Mart.I saw this idea in one of Mary Englebreit's kitchens. Only her rolling pins were in a painted flower pot. This crock came from my grandmother. I used to buy these rolling pins for 2 or 3 dollars. Not anymore. I have a big walk in pantry which I love. On the opposite wall there will eventually be floor to ceiling food storage. We added a counter so that I could keep big appliances like the food processor plugged in and ready to go. But not this appliance. Nope. This kitchenaide mixer stays in the kitchen with me. It's out where I can love it and admire it. My friends come over and covet it. The mister gave it to me for Christmas a couple of years ago.








So that's pretty much it. We installed the floors and the cabinets but had the Corian countertops done by professionals. Hopefully we'll get it finished soon.

13 comments:

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

YAY you finally posted pictures. It looks magnificant and I am coveting it as I type this....ah someday!
Thanks for posting the pics. You have the cutest kitchen I have ever seen so far! See you tonight!

Nola said...

Your kitchen is absolutely my dream kitchen; country, yet sophisticated, and tons of storage. I love walk in pantries, so I'd be coveting that instead of your mixer. I'd put an old screen door on your pantry entrance!

Sometimes It's Good said...

What a dream kitchen!! It must go into a magazine for all to see. I wish your kitchen was mine.

Nanette Merrill said...

What a darling kitchen with such cute special touches. I love it.

Erin Webster said...

Hey!! I recognize that kitchen! I saw a link to your blog on Nat's blog. I miss you tons, and miss being in Young Women's. Hope all is going well!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love your cabinets!! Your island with the chop board is wonderful!! What a great place to cook!
-sandy toes

Lorilee said...

Beautiful! You have so much space! I love the rolling pins. I often eye them at flea markets and antique stores. They are too expensive for me now!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Angie said...

Wow, I am loving your kitchen! So much character and personality. I WANT that island and walk in pantry!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am jealous on so many levels here! I LOVE your kitchen. The island...the rolling pins, the farmhouse sink. The little alcove above the sink to set a pot of herbs. You have my dream kitchen!! This is the second kitchen I have seen in blogland today with an island and I really want one...
Penny

Alison Hall said...

NO WAY! Annie had told me about your fab kitchen, but it really is AMAZING!! I love your island and your cabinets. And if I must admit, I am totally coveting your pantry!!!

Anonymous said...

What a delightful kitchen. It's all so lovely and your treasured rolling pins, cookbooks, and green glassware are priceless.

Decor To Adore said...

Absolutely adorable!

Sue said...

This kitchen is beautiful!!! See people don't give enough credit to IKEA....it looks fabulous...and Ilove how you have touches of red and green....My whole kitchen is done in red and green...I found the cutest fabric for curtains that has frogs AND ladybugs....got both colors going on...and ofcourse I too have the coveted red Kitchen Aid....