Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Saturday, October 25, 2008

Slowly But Surely

We have been working on Mimi's Cottage this week. The mister and I are slowly but surely getting some things done. I was slowed down a lot by an emergency root canal on Tuesday. Much pain, much pain pills, much amoxicillin, much better now. On Tuesday night I had a baby shower at my house and I don't remember too much of it and totally forgot to take any pictures. I'm blaming that on the pain medication. Anyway, here's some of the things we've done.

We added a cement walkway from our driveway to the front porch. I planted a climbing rose that I want to train up and over the garage door. One of our neighbors gave us some black eyed Susans, coreopsis, ajuga, mums, and a few other plants that she was thinning out so I stuck them in the planting beds. I bought some burning bush and a river birch and they got planted too...
Since we have no curbs or gutters on our street we added some rock for a parking strip and driveway approach. Hopefully this will cut down on the mud mess this winter.
We did a little fall/Halloween decorating.
Slowly but surely.

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

I like how you guys make everything so neat and tidy--we're so sloppy over here. Maybe it has something to do with our kids getting "involved" in the projects that we have to do ourselves.

Yeah--so wanting to see Reese's house. Amanda Sommer told me the inside is awesome. And I've wanted to see the inside of Wilde's forever too. The Bournes is another I missed out on, helping my sister with wedding plans the day they did an open house for the ward. Okay, you're probably getting so sick of this already. I'm thinking I made my stinking boring point already.

Now I remember your red bug at the old house. I was surprised at how small the upstairs was when I saw it. I don't think builders realized the value of extra outlets until after our house was built too, and it was early 60's.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your home is looking lovely. My house is yellow with black shutters and a red door too!

Angie said...

Y'all have really been busy! It is looking great! Your porch is looking very cute and festive. I am jealous of you folks who have a porch because I don't and I want one! Hope you are feeling better after your root canal. Enjoy your Sunday!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's looking so good! Love your fall decorations. I have two River Birches in my backyard and they're my favorite trees. Very nice of your neighbor to give you some plants - that helps with the budget!

Manuela

Decor To Adore said...

I am so sorry to hear about your toothache.
Your home is looking so cute.

Be well!

Jennifer @ Mom Spotted said...

Looks good, we are battling some of your same battles. We just laid some gravel down to our driveway b/c last year it turned to SHEER ICE and we just built a stone wall that we don't want to hit!

Annie said...

It looks great. You guys will get it done... you always do.