Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Thursday, April 28, 2011

Quilt Stories

Last week a few of the ladies of our church took a little field trip to the
Church History Museum in Salt Lake City to see a quilt exhibit.
It was awesome! 


There were contemporary quilts...

This one had a mixed media feel to it.

There were historic quilts...



There were antique samplers...


Three dimensional work.  Can you see that tiny stitching?  It's all hand quilted.
 The dress belonged to the woman who made the quilt that's hanging in the background.  She lived in the 1800's.
 Every quilt had a story, or told a story.
 There were some interactive displays too.



If you're anywhere near Salt Lake City it's worth the time to go have a look.
I think you'll be happy you did.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

What FUN! I Love your pictures! I have also taken pictures of quilts at the Church History Museum(several years ago). I would love to be on your field trip! I will have to visit again when I am in Utah.
Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!

Connie said...

The amount of work that goes in to making a quilt is huge! I need to go, even if it does that an hour to get there!

Simple Home said...

I just love quilt shows. These were wonderful examples of the hard work and handiwork of some talented women!
Blessings,
Marcia

wendy said...

The makings of a beautiful quilt is a work of art.
which I don't have.
My mom however was a great quilter. She'd enter some of hers in fairs and would win ribbons. I have one that I cherish.
It is a stitch of love.

Gayle said...

Thanks for the info about this show Sue! I knew it was there, but wasn't really sure what exactly it was like - think I'll go check it out now!

Julie Harward said...

I love all the quilts and I really love that dress. I think I was born at the wrong time! LOL