Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Thursday, March 24, 2011

Free Spring Scarves

A few weeks ago while wandering around blogland I saw this adorable
idea on the DIYdish.  It's a cute scarf made out of an old T shirt.  It's lightweight
and can be made in springy colors to match the season.

 First you take an old shirt that you won't mind cutting up.
Draw some circles on it.  This was a size large and I was able
to make 3 circles on the front and 3 on the back.

My most excellent pattern was a paper plate.
This does not have to be very neat, just cut away.



 Then spiral cut the circle.   It doesn't have to be precise.  Again, just cut away.
 Give it a gentle pull to straighten out the spiral into a long strip.
 You could use fabric glue to glue the strips together (3 on one side, 3 on the other) but I just stitched them together with my sewing machine.  Go Here if you want to get a coherent tutorial on how to assemble this scarf!
 I decided to make a couple to give away and one to keep for myself.
 This is how they're supposed to look when they're finished.
The DIY dish has a couple of other easy scarves to make.  So go over and take a look.
And make something new for your spring wardrobe.

15 comments:

Gayle said...

Hey Sue! I bought a red tee at Savers on Tuesday to make just this same project! Need to get it washed up and then I can start. Looks like it's easy enough - I like the colors you chose!

Julie Harward said...

What a good idea! They are just too cute! ;D

janis said...

Very clever! I love re-purposing things!

Sunny Simple Life said...

This sounds cute though I am lacking in the crafting area.

wendy said...

that turned out cute.
I used to go to the Jeep Safari in Moab Utah.......beautiful country for sure.

Donna said...

Fabulous! I love them! I think I'll go check out the tutorial and see if I can do it.

Hugs,
Donna

mimi said...

I have so many t-shirts that I could use---now i know just what I am going to do with them :) Thanks for sharing such a cool idea.
xoxo
Mimi

Kathleen Grace said...

These are adorable, I just wish I had seent his before my trip to Salvation Army today, I could have been looking for t-shirts to make these. You can bet I'll be going back to find some now. I love the ruffles and the fact they can be used with different tops!

Brenda said...

What a great idea! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Robyn said...

I love this! thanks Sue!

Connie said...

Very cute! I'll head over to check it out.

Simple Home said...

I've seen some that looked like this in stores and they weren't cheap. What a great idea.

Thank you so much for your prayers for my nephew Jordan. Our family has been so blessed by the love we've received here in blog land.
Blessings,
Marcia

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What a fun idea, Mimi! Thanks for sharing it!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Very cute!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy, too!

Mimi, you asked if the pillows on my post were from Home Depot and they are, as are the red adirondack chairs.


xxoo
Becky

Anne Fannie said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Ann