Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Other Sue's Rye Bread


I got quite a few requests for this rye bread recipe so I asked Sue if she would mind sharing her recipe with you. She said she was happy to do it! Thank you, Sue. It made a delicious sandwich and it was wonderful toasted with a little apricot jam.
No Knead Rye Bread
You need a cast iron dutch oven. I used a Le Crueset 2 3/4 qt size pot. It needs to be able to go in the oven and have a tight fitting lid. You also need parchment paper for the bottom of the pan and foil to cover the bread the last 10 minutes.
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup rye flour (I found mine at Walmart)
1 Tbsp coarse salt
1 Tbsp caraway seeds
1/4 tsp yeast (yes, this is correct 1/4 tsp)
1 1/2 cups room temperature tap water (right out of the faucet)
Mix the dry ingredients. Sue said in a cuisineart, I used my kitchenaide mixer. Then add the water. Mix just until well blended.
Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl...I used olive oil...and cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Let this sit on your counter for 12 to 18 hours. (I started this process in the afternoon and it sat on my counter overnight and was ready to bake the next day at noon.)
After the time is up, dump the dough on the counter on top of a little bench flour. Roll a few times, cover with a towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
Put the dough on a floured cotton towel...use plain not terry cloth or the dough will stick to it...place back into a bowl and cover for another 2 hours.
At about the hour and a half mark, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place your baking pot in the oven with the lid and heat if for about 30 minutes. Once the pot is good and hot place a piece of parchment in the bottom and put the dough in. Take a mixture of 1/2 tsp corn starch mixed with a 1/4 cup water and microwave 30 seconds, then stir. Brush this mixture on the top of the dough and sprinkle with more caraway seeds...
Bake covered for 30 minutes.
Remove lid and cover loosely with foil for an additional 10 minutes.
This method made a crispy crust and a nice firm inside. Thanks again, Sue. I'll be making this again soon.

10 comments:

Nola said...

Rye bread is my fav; slathered in butter! I can't for the life of me bake bread, I just mess it up every time! Just gotta rely on those folks at OroWheat for my bread.

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

Looks delicious!

Annie said...

I'm with Nola... I can't bake bread to save my life! Maybe I will try this. It looks delicious.

Donna said...

Looks delicious! I could eat a piece now!

Hugs,
Donna

V and Co. said...

it may not of been vintage then but it can be a vintage design now for your adorable grand babies! wait do you have girl grand babies?

Nana said...

Oh, I am going to try this one. My husband loves rye, so do I.

Beth at Aunties said...

I have enjoyed all the recipes you share.
Thanks for another yummy one...from a rye type of girl!

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

I want to try this! She makes it look so easy! NIce to know you are a fello "Tall" person ! LOL♥

Ginger said...

It looks good and I bet it smells heavenly. But when it comes to baking bread, I am with the other gals...just can't get it to come out right.
Ginger

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Wow, this sounds wonderful. I have seen similar recipes before but have been a little scared to actually try them. Sounds like this one is a keeper! :)
Carrie