Mimi Sue's Cottage

A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. Thomas S Monson







Monday, March 23, 2009

Sue's Corned Beef Sandwiches (and Breakfast)

Sue, over at Rue Mouffetard, showed us her corned beef sandwiches on her St. Patricks Day post. They looked so yummy that I asked her for the recipe. She was kind enough to share it with me and am I ever glad she did! DELICIOUS!
You put the corned beef in your crockpot with one sliced up onion. Low setting, overnight. I could smell it cooking and had some pretty weird dreams involving mustard and the mister but we won't go into that now. The rye bread is to die for. Dense and crusty. It's baked in a dutch oven, delish.


We ate this for Sunday dinner with some coleslaw. The mister ate 2 sandwiches all by himself. I thought I was back in L.A. in this little Jewish deli that we love.


This morning I had it toasted with a little homemade apricot jam. It was wonderful.

Thanks again, Sue. These recipes are definitely keepers.






6 comments:

GRAMS said...

Okay, I neeeed the bread recipe. It looks yummy. Give me a call when you are ready to play. Janis

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

At this crazy house, we love, love love corned beef. I also cook it in a slow cooker over night. However, I have never used an onion. Humm, I'm going to try it. Have to try the rye bread as well. Did you make your own? Sounds like we are all gonna need a recipe.....

Sue said...

Yah!!!!!!!!!! I made it into someone's blog....you need to let Mercy Ottis at the Stone House know to add that drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and ground pepper to the corned beef along with the onion...I think the EVOO is what gives it such a great taste....So glad you like it...Sue.

Ginger said...

It sounds wonderful. I don't think I've ever eaten corned beef. Is it like pastrami? The rye bread looked so delicious..one of my favorites. We all should of been at your house on Sunday!!!
Did you get snow? We did in Southern Utah. But it's pretty much gone already.
Ginger

Small House said...

I've never had corned beef. I might give this a try.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. You said you were from Kaysville. I'm about an hour north :) In a little valley.

I've enjoyed your blog. I't's a keeper! I'll be back a lot.
Thanks.
Sandra

Nola said...

My mouth is watering just thinking about that sandwich. Need a big ole pickle and a cold beer to go along with it.